Monday, October 02, 2006

Sloppy Joes Remastered

There are certain foods from my childhood that I remember fondly, and hate the idea of having to give up. So it's nice to find ways to revamp the old recipes, making them healthier and still retaining the savory flavors I have held dear for so many years. Tonight, especially with Kirk out of town, I decided to do some experimenting. Armed with ground turkey, KC Masterpiece's Original Barbeque Sauce (fat free, I might add), onions, Worchester Sauce, garlic and pita bread, I was ready to try to remake the sloppy joes of my youth.

It is quite easy actually. No cooking oil necessary. I browned the ground turkey and the onions, mixing in the garlic. Once they were thoroughly browned, I added the BBQ and Worchester Sauces and mixed it in quite well. I then served the sloppy joe mixture in pita pockets. It was less sloppy than usual, and tasted exactly as I remembered. Served with a side salad, the meal was exactly what I had hoped for! Yay!

As a side note, for you Trader Joe's fans, apparently the Banana Crisps that have been out of stock for the last couple of weeks are being relabeled. The nutritional information on the package was incorrect. Since banana crisps are one of my favorite snacks, I am hoping the error was in the favor of health, but fear the opposite.

No comments: