Monday, September 25, 2006

Fish Food

I was chatting with a friend recently about fat content in food. It's something I used to watch, had gotten out of the habit of doing, and I'm starting to do again now. Fish is one of my favorites - cooked, raw, I love it all (especially raw, i.e., sushi). But fish also seems to have a wide variety of nutritional value. For example, salmon, which both Kirk and I love, is really quite fatty. My friend had suggested halibut instead. There's a nice 3 pound package of halibut at the local CostCo, but the price is steep - $26. Today, as I was wandering the fish aisle, I noticed that the Mahi Mahi was about 1/2 the price of the Halibut. Upon checking the nutritional values, I discovered that Mahi Mahi had about 1 gram of fat per serving (compared to Halibut's 3-4 grams).

So, for dinner, of course, we had Mahi Mahi. I marinated the fish in soy sauce (low sodium) with lemon juice. I sprinkled lemon pepper (well, actually, I had none on hand, so I used the Cook's Thesaurus to discover what could be substituted - lemon zest mixed with black pepper and a bit of salt) over the top. Then I put it in the oven (actually in our toaster oven) on 375 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.

On the side, I served a salad made from romaine lettuce, cilantro, edamame, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow bell pepper, white onions, crushed pita chips and TJ's reduced fat parmesan ranch dressing.

I'm interested in any other Mahi Mahi recipes you might have.

No comments: