Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Vegetable Enchiladas (an experiment)

First, let me say, Kirk and I are not vegetarians. However, I remember this recipe from years ago - a friend made it for me, I got the recipe and later made it for a friend of mine. I remember it being quite delicious. So after the recipe had gathered dust for about 12 years, I decided to give it another try.

First, I was unable to find the Hunts Stewed Tomatoes so I substituted S&W Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes. This was a bit more labor intensive as they came sliced, rather than chunked, and needed to be cut down further. Also, I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes, especially if they "taste tomatoey" or are in large chunks. So, I used one can of the stewed tomatoes and 1 can of Rotelle style tomatoes (with chiles).

Secondly, in the interest of cutting down on cheese (and fat), I minimized the cheese - using only about 2-3 ounces, rather than the 6 that the recipe calls for. I used Pepper Jack, instead of Monterey Jack. I like the pepperjack, however, I noticed that the recipe lost a good bit of its flavor by cutting down on the cheese. I wonder if there's a good substitute (that would be more healthy than 9 grams of fat per 1 ounce serving)?

At any rate, the dinner was passable, but not oustanding. I think it would fare better if you stuck closer to the recipe than I did. Especially if you like cheese.

Vegetable Enchiladas
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:35

Ingredients
----------------------------------------------------
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup dried lentils
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 flour tortilla, white or wheat -- 6"
2 medium carrots -- sliced thin*
non-stick spray
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cooking oil or olive oil
1 medium zucchini -- sliced in thin stick
2 cans chunky chili style stewed tomatoes -- Hunts, 14 ounces/can
6 ounces monterey jack cheese -- but can use more

*Long skinny sticks

In medium sauce pan, combine water, lentils and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Rinse with cold water and set aside.

In large skillet, stir-fry carrots and chili powder in hot oil for 2-3 minutes, add zucchini & stir-fry another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add lentils. Add 1 can tomatoes and 1/2 the cheese.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make the tortillas. Spray the bottom of the baking dish - bake for 8 minutes. Top with tomatoes and cheese and bake another 7-12 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 177 Calories; 9g Fat (44.4% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol; 260mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

No comments: